In the Distance



I saw it again. Shining like a beacon in the endless night it mystified me. It was the second time I had witnessed its brilliance and as before it filled me with such longing. An urge so great that I needed to see it up close and bask in its glow until time simply ran out. The journey would be long I knew, so I sat there wondering if I should answer its calling. 

                                                                                                           I
                                                                                                                 Sat
                                                                                                                        There
                                                                                                                                    Forever.

And when I stood the light faded as the sun began its ascent. It was stifling my brilliant guide and I cursed the star for it. My journey would have to wait.

Daylight is for those who have purpose in this world so I slept having no obligation to the star or its dwellers and I dreamt of my own star, the one that shines exquisitely in the dark and seduces me with its every wink. But oh! The despair I feel when it leaves me again as I wake. It haunts my every waking moment and there is no hope again until the sun retires and Nyx spreads her obsidian glory across the sky again. And there it is! More beautiful than I remember and so breathtaking I fall to my knees.

Butnowisthetimetohurry.

Night cannot last forever and I have such a journey to undertake. I thought I should pack something, but what? I hadn’t hungered in days, clothes I was wearing, and everything else was riddled with bothersome cobwebs and dust. So I left empty handed. I left all my possessions behind as it felt the proper thing to do.

It’s curious, I can’t recall how long I’ve been traveling or when I crossed the threshold of my home and night has been eternal. The sun has left my journey uninterrupted and my feet have made swift work of the seemingly smooth terrain that I did not expect. Following in the footsteps of the wise men I slowly came to realize that time existed elsewhere leaving beyond the walls of this realm and I was in the nothingness between worlds. Not purgatory but a path – a path to my beacon. As I neared my yearning only grew. To feel its glow on my skin would be paradise.

It still seemed so                   far                   away.

Through the deafening silence and the night I spotted my prize.            A single
                                                                                                                               Ray of light
                                                                                                                               Fell onto the
                                                                                                                               Darkness and
                                                                                                                               Beckoned me.

There were no words, no actions that could voice my elation and ecstasy at that moment. It’s shimmering glory called to me and I responded eagerly. I stepped into the beam letting it envelope me and in the blink of an eye it carried me to my eternal home.

You’ve seen the beacon.

You’ve heard my call.

All you have to do is follow.

Comments

Popular Posts