I Don’t Need a Hero



The chilled wind nipped at my bare heels chasing me deeper into the trees. He is chasing me too though he is not as close as the rabid wind.

It couldn’t be much further. It had to be here – I remember it smirking at me as I ran from it. It seems like I always end up running between these trees. I had thought to burn it but now I’m glad I left it behind and intact. Somehow I knew I would come back.

He is closing in. I can hear him stumbling through the brush behind me. I hope he doesn’t know these woods, the history they and I have. But how could he? I’ve never told anyone or even spoken aloud of it. Still, stranger things have happened to me. It feels colder here – I must be close. I fall as I hit a root stubbing my toe. It doesn’t hurt but when my knees hit the forest floor I wish I had grabbed my pants before I ran.

I know I can’t run anymore. I’ve done more than stub my toe, my whole leg from the knee down is throbbing and I know he’s only seconds from finding me.

There it is.

My heart feels like it’s not stopped but imploded. The faded yellow paint is still clinging, the shutters to non-existent windows still holding on for dear life, and the door beckons. It looks like it should not open. No doorknob graces its decrepit face only an oxidized copper knocker.

“There’s nowhere to run little girl,” he chuckles close behind.

He’s obviously out of breath. If I can get up and get to the cottage this will all be over.
It must remember me, the only one to ever escape it. I never thought I’d be back here. Somewhere he’s still behind me telling me what he plans to do with my body, how he’ll make it last. I’m not really listening. His plans are about to be changed. I take a deep breath and force myself to my feet. One step and I’m gone. He can’t catch me. I don’t even have to knock. It knows I’m here. It’s been waiting for me. The door is open wide waiting for me to rush into its terrible arms.

The darkness enfolds me. It’s warm and comforting and the door has shut between me and the man. Right now he could be shouting and pounding on the door and I could never hear him. I don’t think I’m on earth anymore. I never found out what this place really was. When the sun sets outside the darkness in here will be infinite and with it comes hell. I know there’s no escape this time but I know what’s coming will be quicker than what is waiting 
outside.




   

Comments

Popular Posts