Well folks, it has finally happened!

The day has come - I have an agent!

I won't go into details yet because I still technically have to sign on the dotted line but just the thought that the contracts are in the mail and that I finally have the opportunity to get one of my books on the shelf is staggering and unbelievable. I honestly had begun to give up that this day would come. I had resigned myself to the fact that it would probably have to wait until my children are older and in school and I would be able to give my querying more attention, start a twitter account (which I will be doing anyways) and possibly even self-publish. Self-publishing is not a bad thing but knowing that my inept ass would be in charge of everything is absolutely terrifying, therefore, it's not for me.

My mind has already gone into overdrive. I've set a schedule to complete first drafts of my next two books in the next few months which will mean sleepless nights but I'm definitely okay with that. Besides, I can always nap with my littlest one after dropping the little man off at school.

Can I be real for a moment? I'm still not sure this is actually happening. After the phone call with my agent (OH MY GOD I HAVE AN AGENT) I felt pregnant and hormonal all over again. I had moments where I couldn't stop smiling and then the realization sunk in that someone actually enjoys my novel and I would begin to cry and then it would turn into a sort of happy sobbing mess and my four year old would stop playing and look at me like What the hell is your problem? If you were here right now I wouldn't ask you to pinch me, I would ask you to pour ice cold water over me so I would really know I haven't been dreaming for the last 48 hours.

Of course I made the mistake of reading all of those blogs afterwards about what you should have asked your agent before signing and what comes after you've signed. I can tell you that after researching and spending a half hour on the phone with this person that my gut knew they were the one for me and my books. I have a very strong instinct and I always try to follow it. They were realistic and optimistic and easy going but at the same time I knew they were going to be tenacious and push for the best.  We even have the same taste in books and authors - I swooned a little when I found out they loved Shirley Jackson.

I know editing and finding a publisher are going to take time. I know my advance won't be a million dollars. I know that this relationship and career are going to take hard work and dedication. I also know that my husband and family are very supportive and proud of me. My husband can't stop telling me how proud he is and I tear up a little every time he whispers it to me. I am good with having to work hard. I am good with only making a little bit of money. I am grateful that my agent has given me this opportunity. It has taken three books and four years. I'm lucky. I've heard other authors talk about longer journeys and a harder road and I knew I was blessed when my agent loved the same parts of my book that I did and that they were excited when speaking about the characters and the setting and the darkness in it. I hopefully found my match. Mine's not a Cinderella story but I guess you could say that I found my professional glass slipper.

The best part is that now I have an awesome reason as to why my husband should take the kids out by himself so that I can get to work :) I can't get over that my work is something I love doing. God really has blessed me.

With more work should hopefully come more stories and more blogs. I'm going to write my blog and my readers into my work schedule and make more time for us. I was never one for journaling but I have noticed that when I spill to you guys I feel lighter. It's almost like being on the stage again and getting to spill your guts out to an audience you can't see but know are there; exhilarating, therapeutic, and scary as hell.

If any of you out there are looking for your own agent or your dream career or even just something to do that makes you feel more like you - don't ever stop until you've found it. And keep your eyes open. You never know, it could be looking for you too.

Thanks for reading. And you will be the first to know when my book is ready to hit the shelves!




  

Comments

Popular Posts