Your Guardian Angel

Emily,

This is late, I know, but you've been hard to get a hold of.  I decided to write you when I couldn't get you on the phone. All I want to say is Happy Valentine's Day, love.

I sent flowers to your work; daisies because I know that they're your favorite. I'll never forget that day you brought those daisies to your grandmother's grave and you told her that they made you think of her. I remember your hair blowing in the wind as you cried over her, telling her how much you miss her. That's the day that I fell in love with you. You were so sweet and vulnerable, a side of you I hadn't expected.

When I walked by your home, you weren't there, so I left your chocolates in your mail box. I had hoped that we would get to talk, maybe even spend some quality time together, but you were out with friends. I guess you didn't think that I would want to see you. You've never cared much for Valentine's Day, but I was hoping that you would make an exception just this once for me.

You drank all night and flirted with the bartender. You didn't even notice that I was there. When I called your cell phone, you ignored me. You even told your friends you couldn't believe that I had gotten your new number. Sometimes you can be so thoughtless. But I still love you.

When I stopped by today, the chocolates were gone. At least I know you're getting my gifts. And Dot barked at me through the window. I'm happy to see that you're taking good care of our puppy. My mother wouldn't let me keep her in the house because animals are too dirty. Mother thinks all things are dirty. Even you. But she's wrong.

Do you ever think about the first time that we met? We were on the bus and you smiled at me. It stopped my heart. Here I was, an ugly, useless nobody, and you an angel, and you looked at me and smiled. I said hello, and you said it back. You seemed so genuine and caring. You let me talk with you until your stop, and when I walked you home you didn't mind. I walked past your house every day after that, even though I lived across town. Now I live down the street. I get to see you every day. I never thought I deserved a woman as wonderful as you.

I know things have been rough. You had to start a new job and get a new roommate. You've even changed your cell number a couple of times. I want you to know that you don't have to worry. I will always be here to help you, to check on you, and to love you. You could never do anything to push me away, Emily.

I will always watch over you until the end of my days.


Your Guardian Angel,
Philip





Comments

Popular Posts