Awesome Movie Alert!

Posts have been slow as of late. Possibly because I have been working on books... and a new blog series based on writing techniques. Don't worry. I'll still post the occasional short story. I can't go too long without writing something just for fun :)

But this is a movie alert, so let's get to the movie part!

This morning my kids finally decided to play in their bedroom instead of bringing all of their toys into the living room for me to clean up later, allowing my husband and I to watch The Ritual on Netflix. It is based (I haven't read the book yet but I am assuming that I can use the phrase "loosely" here) on the novel by Adam Nevill. Once I read the book, I will give you an update on how closely the movie followed the novel. And if it is anything like the movie then I know I am going to love it.

As you know, I don't like to give spoilers so I will keep this brief. The Ritual is about a group of friends from Britain going on a hiking trip in the wilds of Sweden. As you can imagine, someone injures themselves while hiking and they inevitably become lost in the forest while also realizing that they are being hunted by something. There are freaky abandoned cabins, vehicles, tents, and an eerie cut trail; all not-so-subtle hints that they are walking farther into an area where they ought not be. I found myself wanting to yell at the television while simultaneously wanting to sit back and smile at the questionable choices our heroes make.

This movie has a very Blair Witch feel but with more mythology and a much bigger, more satisfying payoff. It kept me guessing and kept my attention - something movies are rarely capable of any more. And I really enjoyed seeing Norse mythology play a large role. The vibe is creepy and I found myself holding my breath so I didn't miss any of the dialogue. And I think I scanned the treeline more than any of the characters in the film, lol.

If you like movies where there are loads of trees and something in the distance breaking all of the branches in the dead of the night, then this is a film for you. The acting is great and the dialogue is free-flowing and realistic. The banter reminds me of spending time with my family and friends so I enjoyed watching the friends give each other shit throughout the movie. The script writer did an amazing job at keeping the sensational bits realistic when it came to reactions and the actors played their parts very well. It was nice getting to watch one of these movies where I felt like I was watching real humans in a life threatening situation instead of the comical caricatures we normally see in horror films. There was no final girl, no asshole, no comic relief. What you get is what you're promised - a bunch of normal dudes hiking in the woods - and I loved it.

So if any of this appeals to you, go on and check it out. Wait until tonight. Put the kids to bed. Turn out all the lights and close the curtains. Grab yourself a beer and spend the evening watching The Ritual. You will not be disappointed.




Comments

Popular Posts