Me and my bad ideas

So this week's blog is late. It was one of those weekends, you know? Lately I haven't had enough hours in a day to be able to accomplish anything and it doesn't look like this week is going to be any different. I needed a rant. Not about books or writing or trying to find the elusive literary agent but about knitting.

I knit. That's the hobby I chose and let me tell you it is hard. I haven't been knitting long enough for it to be easy or to go quickly (I can do scarves and simple patterns) and lately I was stupid enough to decide to try a big project. I'm making a gift for a friend and so far nothing has gone right. Those of you who know me are probably laughing and for those of you who don't know me - if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at all. Seriously. The only reason I usually get things to work out is by sheer will or determination. I had that when I began my project but it's fading fast. My hands keep slipping and the first pattern I tried wasn't adding up right. I had to change the pattern and it feels like it is taking forever! No matter how much time I devote to it a day it doesn't seem to be growing. It's so frustrating!!!

I started this hobby because my husband wanted a homemade scarf (he asked for the Dr. Who scarf and since I was pregnant it took me almost a year. Even then it wasn't as long as it was supposed to be.) But I enjoyed it. When I was having trouble plotting a story or the dialogue wasn't flowing I would pick up my needles and ruminate. After a while it would work, everything in my mind would finally come into focus and I could go back to my writing.

I think what's killing me is that I gave myself a deadline for my knitting. Deadline for a novel or draft? Fine. Short deadline to complete something I've never attempted before? Daunting to say the least. I hope this doesn't make me hate knitting.


Comments

Popular Posts