the Word

"In the beginning was the Word"

I have been thinking about these six fascinating words since the new year began and contemplating my next year in writing. Not that I've even gotten to touch any writing since - oh, I don't know, November?

Life has been crazy since we welcomed 2016. We traveled back home for the holidays and with two small kids and a dog it felt like I had packed the whole damn house for just two weeks of vacation. Being home was chaos because trying to squeeze in seeing everyone means that there is absolutely no down time. My six month old cut her first two teeth for Christmas, Lord help me, and since we've been back home she has decided that she no longer wants to sleep at night. I'm running on about 4 or 5 hours of sleep so excuse the typos and incoherent thoughts. My mind wanders to the place I like to call the Wall because there is no getting past or around it until my free time has been totally wasted. Also because I stare at the wall when I go there. It's only slightly better than staring at a blank piece of paper for a few hours. Now, where was I? Oh, right. So we get back home and my six month old is in the midst of growth spurts, new teeth and just general unpleasant baby behavior. She is actually throwing a fit right now so I'm trying to type this as fast as I can without making too many errors. My son is fine. He was happy to be back to his routine which is fine with me except I'm the taxi and my mind still isn't in the right place. We were almost late to school today. It took me five days to get the apartment back where I wanted it and to get all the old crap out making room for all the new crap my kids got but more than likely, I am preaching to the choir. You know what the new year brings and if you don't, let me fill you in. Crap. It brings with it crap. Crap you need to get rid of and crap to replace everything you just threw out. Just . . . crap.

So, in the beginning was the word. I've been thinking about how important words are and how much we take them for granted. How angry I get at words when they don't want to leap out of the end of my pen and neatly onto the paper or fly from my fingers to the keys of my laptop. Why won't they just string themselves together for me and give me the neat package of a brilliant book? I have underestimated the power of words and abused their beautiful simplicity. This year I will strive to be better. I love my stories and books. I love that one word can make the difference when defining a character or a relationship and I love that I have the freedom to put words in any order I wish to go from a vague story idea to a blooming manuscript. Sure there will be bumps, sure I will still get angry with my pen, my laptop and my seemingly small vocabulary but this year I want to show you that I truly have a love for the word whether written, spoken or sung. Because without the word we are nothing. Without the word nothing we know would exist.  





Comments

Popular Posts