Netflix is KILLING IT

I've been on a bit of a hiatus. Got a new job so naturally my "extra" time is near non-existent, my writing has slowed, and keeping up with everything (and I mean EVERYTHING! Cleaning house, laundry, reading, tweeting, breathing... I've got time for none of it.) is exhausting. Well, enough complaining. I do enjoy the work and I'm getting paid so that's good. And the one downside of no extra time will be changing soon! Things have been slowly falling back into place and I had time this past week to watch a few movies. Now, if only I could find the time for reading... and finishing that pesky short story I've already posted some of...

Movie number one that I really enjoyed was Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil. It is a Spanish film, I believe, and tells the story of a man who sold his soul to the devil. It was such a wonderful, old world story. Something reminiscent of a dark fairy tale. It is dubbed so there are moments where the translation feels completely ridiculous and over done, quite like anime can sometimes be, but the visuals and the acting far outweigh those silly moments. This is definitely a movie for fans of story lines. Don't be clicking on it thinking that there's going to be gore and demons and brimstone because you'll be sorely disappointed. It's a great story with some funny and poignant moments and awesome makeup/costuming. If it sounds up your alley, give it a shot.

Next is a title that I've been skipping over for weeks thinking that it was going to be the same old possession crap we keep seeing lately. And then my dad got me to watch it and I loved every minute. The Autopsy of Jane Doe is now officially one of my new favorite films. It is so different, so unexpected, so thoughtful that if you enjoy horror films, you need to see this. You know me - you know I despise spoilers - but I will say that there is actually an autopsy and, more than just a horror film, it slowly begins to turn into a mystery. Ghosts, possessions, dead bodies... seriously. You NEED to watch this.

Now, I saw this last one some time ago but it's really good. Velvet Buzzsaw. Jake Gyllenhaal's best movie. I mean, what could be better than watching uppity artists and art critics being devoured by, what else? Art. It has an amazing cast. It could have been longer - it could have been darker - but it was solid.

Netflix is seriously killing it with the shows and movies its making and with the ones it is bringing in for us to watch. Keep it up! I can't wait to watch Stranger Things Season 3 :)

Until next time, dear readers.




 

Comments

Popular Posts