It's almost Thanksgiving. . . again

Did this year go by really fast for everyone else too? I feel like I just did this a month or so ago and Christmas is already around the corner peeking its ruddy cheeks out and blowing raspberries my way. Jerk. I wish I could stop this train and take a breather.

The good news is my Christmas shopping is basically done (take that you frosty bastard) and I bought my turkey today instead of literally waiting until the last minute. I bought a small one since it is just going to be me, the husband and the kids and that damn turkey still cost me about 24 bucks. It would have been cheaper to go out and hunt the stupid thing. So with everything moving at the speed of light and the prices at the grocery stores skyrocketing to extremes what exactly is there to be thankful for? I suppose I could be thankful that gas prices have dropped below three dollars a gallon. I know what I should be thankful for - waking up to find myself and my family breathing and living another day. That is always a good thing that I know I take for granted way too often and that I should be thankful for that every day of the year not just Thanksgiving.

I want to be unconventional this year. I don't want to repeat last year's blog and say that I'm thankful for my loving family and their beautiful smiles. I don't have to say that because I'm assuming that everyone else with kids and a family feel the same way. Here's what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving.

My son who is three and a half argues with me pretty much all of the time. He can be bossy, stubborn and can even be a literal pain in my ass when I sit on a toy that he has left cleverly hidden in the couch cushions. He has a miniature library full of great stories but only wants us to read him the train books over and over again. He has the cutest little singing voice but only applies it to choo-choo songs and the occasional ABC's where the middle letters are still a big mystery and after twenty minutes of this I feel like my brain has turned to mush. Sometimes I think his anxiety gets the better of him when we drop him off at school and to see him be afraid of something is heartbreaking. While I am complaining I have to admit that these are some of things I love and admire most about my son. He is strong. Strong willed and strong of heart. He has a backbone and is not afraid to speak up for what he wants or believes in but he's also not afraid to be scared or upset or to show us that something is bothering him. He has a wonderfully vivid imagination, a temper that could blow the roof off of a house and a personality so unique that children and adults alike are drawn to him.

My daughter is only four months old but already she is showing a very interesting personality. She smiles all the time and her cooing is loud and precious as hell. Of course she's spoiled and won't let me put her down EVER. When she cries it is because she is starving (which apparently still happens every hour and a half) yet at the same time she is patient. I am thankful that she is so much like her daddy. Our son may have my temperament but our daughter has her father's. Mild, easy going and very pleasant to be around. Both of our children are extremely loving and there is no shortage of hugs and kisses on a daily basis.

Now to my husband. What else is there really to say other than that I found my perfect someone who loves me and puts up with all of my crap? I would be a little more thankful if Fallout 4 would unwrap its tentacles from around him. He can annoy me like no other human being on this planet and sometimes the looks he gives me makes me want to throw my shoe at him. Sometimes when he sings to our children he can be off key ( I think he does this on purpose to annoy me.) He and our son have dance parties and they wait until I'm trying to work to run into the bedroom and dance in my face. His patience with me annoys me too - I'm not entirely sure he ever gets angry whereas I can't stop being angry and that makes me even more angry. Of course, the only people who can make us this angry and this upset and this (name any emotion) are the only people we really love. Life wouldn't be the same without my large child.

I guess the bottom line is that I am thankful to be in a household full of such individuals and through the chaos of daily life we find that we mesh better together than we could with anyone else. There will be arguing and yelling at the television (college football) and worry over why the boy won't eat anything off of his plate and fights over whether we are watching another game or the Octonauts. This Thursday is going to be messy, chaotic, a migraine waiting to happen, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. May it be messy and wonderful!




  

Comments

Popular Posts