Quote of the Week

I know. I've been away too long. You've been worried about me - pining away the hours until I write to you again whispering sweet words of literary awesomeness and prolonging our love affair of the written word. Since I missed last week I will give you two quotes - albeit from the same novel. I couldn't decide which I liked better so I'm going to give you both.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is a novel I'm sure everyone has read for school and if you didn't read the novel you've at least skimmed the cliff notes for a test long forgotten. In everything going on around us today this book feels all the more relevant in helping us find the way we as society shouldn't take. I'm not really political. I tend to keep my opinions close but I'm not afraid to point to literature to make some of my points for me.




"Till at last the child's mind is these suggestions, and the sum of the suggestions is the child's mind. And not the child's mind only. The adult's mind too-all his life long. The mind that judges and desire and decides-made up of these suggestions. But all these suggestions are our suggestions... Suggestions from the State." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World


"The greater a man's talents, the greater his power to lead astray. It is better that one should suffer than that many should be corrupted. Consider the matter dispassionately, Mr. Foster, and you will see that no offense is so heinous as unorthodoxy of behavior. Murder kills only the individual-and, after all, what is an individual?" - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World




Comments

Popular Posts