Quote of the Week

My husband is out of the country, away on work, and I have begun the first edit of my novel. Needless to say, it is difficult trying to find time to work with both of the kids vying for my attention. After a hard day it is nice to snuggle up with my babies and read a few stories before bedtime and the other day we read Ferdinand because my husband is in Spain. The kids really enjoyed it. So today's quote is from The Story of Ferdinand.




"Ferdinand ran to the middle of the ring and everyone shouted and clapped because they thought he was going to fight fiercely and butt and snort and stick his horns around.

But not Ferdinand. When he got to the middle of the ring he saw the flowers in all the lovely ladies' hair and he just sat down quietly and smelled.

He wouldn't fight and be fierce no matter what they did. He just sat and smelled. And the Banderilleros were mad and the Picadores were madder and the Matador was so mad he cried because he couldn't show off with his cape and sword.

So they had to take Ferdinand home.

And for all I know he is sitting there still, under his favorite cork tree, smelling flowers just quietly.

He is very happy."


- The Story of Ferdinand, Written by Munro Leaf and Illustrated by Robert Lawson




 

Comments

Popular Posts