YALLWEST 2016

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to my first writer's convention this past weekend at the Santa Monica High School. YALLWEST 2016 is for fans and writers of young adult books and there were panels and signings and plenty of places to get a new book. I have to say that at first I felt like a fish out of water. I have been a hermit these past four years as far as my social life. My kids have had play dates and park days, I make sure to get them out of the house and socializing with children their own age, but I sort of keep to myself. Let's be honest, it's hard to find mom friends when most of your friends aren't even married and have no desire to procreate, and your family (which is full of babies) is in another state. So I've read books, and written novels, and now that I have an agent, and will hopefully be publishing soon, things are changing. It is time for me to branch out and build relationships again.

It sounds easier than it is.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, when I went to hear other authors speak and seeing all of these other newbie writers and fans, to find that it was like being at an actors meetup. I didn't realize how close the two worlds really are. People were dressed like book characters, heads of hair were all different, unnatural colors, adults were dressed like teenagers, and there was even a sing along to Hamilton, a musical I would know if I had bothered not to shut myself out of the theater world too. By the way, it's a great musical and I'm thinking about buying the soundtrack. It sounds like I'm knocking the festival and the lovely people who attended but I'm not. What I'm getting at is that it was full of artists, people who are not afraid to be themselves, whatever that may be and however that may look. Being there brought back so many memories of being at theater competitions and taking classes with other enthusiasts. And it was awesome being an adult there and seeing so many teens and young adults there to meet their favorite authors and to get books signed and to get advice on how to start working on their own books. So uplifting, so vibrant. It was truly inspiring and I loved every minute of it.

When I was younger and fully involved in theater, I was everywhere and in everything and I made sure people knew who I was and what I could do. While that was fun, I have to say that I enjoy being a wallflower now. I enjoy seeing others excitement and watching others reactions. What writer doesn't? But I think it will be fun, and helpful to my new career, to get back into the thick of it. Maybe at the next convention I can branch out a little more and introduce myself to more of these amazing artists. For now I am just grateful to be on the fringes.




 

Comments

Popular Posts