Halloween Movie Time!!!

Bear with me.

I have had a few beers . . .

You would too if you had spent your entire day ignoring your book, and your critique partners, to manufacture Ghostbuster pieces for Halloween. Although, I have to admit, they are turning out awesome. I'm making the sign, mini Slimer and Stay Puft figurines, and a containment unit that will sit in my trunk and hold Halloween candy. Admit it, you totally want to see our sweet Ghostbusters set up! My son will be Venkman, and my daughter will be Samhain (a villain from the eighties cartoon.) I will post pics when they are complete!

Now, I have been trolling TCM for horror classics this Halloween since Netflix has nothing. I tried to watch The Taking of Deborah Logan, and Netflix removed it! WHY! I only cried a little, by the way. Anyways, I know that sometime in the future TCM is going to play The Black Cat, with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi, and I want to finally catch it at the beginning. I can't wait! That said, I FINALLY got to see Suspiria, by the renowned writer/director Dario Argento.

I loved it and hated it. Let me explain.

I loved the plot. The idea that witches are alive and kicking in modern day Germany is fascinating. And, oddly enough believable. Why they would choose to run a ballet company, though, is beyond me.

And they seemed to have hired the worst dancers on the planet. 

Our heroine, Susy Banyon's, days see pretty empty for a ballet dancer. I know that she is new, and that she is having "issues" when she first arrives but the company (or school, I can't really recall) is very lax. And the dancing is atrocious. As someone who aspired to be a ballet dancer and spent twenty plus years trying to keep that dream aflame, I am appalled at the kindergarten level of this company's dancers. I won't go into detail, but that in and of itself could be a whole blog - or a series even - trust me. It's truly the most terrifying part of the movie.

The visuals (excluding the dancing, that is) were extraordinarily beautiful. Argento has a brilliant eye for movement, angles, and lighting. His use of color throughout, the reds that pop up almost everywhere, is a great use of symbolism in the film. You immediately recognize the blatant use of red, and as the film goes on, it begins to blend into its background so the rest of the movie has a menacing feeling. Not only are the witches watching Susy but they are watching you as well.

The ending was fabulous. I won't go into detail because you know that I don't like giving large spoilers away. Besides, the biggest spoiler was the shitty dancing for those of us that appreciate great ballet . . .

It was a well-thought story and the atmosphere was eerie, so much that it seeped from the television set and into my room. I probably shouldn't have watched it in the dark. At least the nearest ballet company is miles and miles away.

It is slow moving compared to today's films, I won't lie, but if you enjoy story lines that actually lead somewhere then you will enjoy this film, Plus, it is a classic. If nothing else, add it to your list so that you can cross it off. I promise, the visual will be enough for you to enjoy it - your eyeballs will thank you!

Coming up, I will have another short story, something creepier than my personal roach experience, and a few more blogs leading up to Halloween! 
  




Comments

Popular Posts