Quote of the Month

Oh my goodness, it is October!

The time has certainly gotten away from me while finishing up my novel and, having only just realized we are two weeks in, I have immediately begun scribbling some horror stories for the next few weeks. Needless to say, I am behind. But that is the beauty of a short story - the fact that it is short. Before this week is finished, I will have woven at least one dark tale for you to enjoy when the sun has gone down. Possibly even two. I'll have a few movie blogs coming up too, I'm sure.

For now, feast your eyes on the quote of the month. This is a story that I don't think I have quoted before, and one I'm sure everyone thinks that they know. 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' does not always get the credit it deserves. People's minds immediately go to the movie (which is very well done) or to the Disney cartoon (which I also love!) but if you have never read the book, you are indeed missing out. Irving's writing is vivid, poetic even, and if you enjoy ghost tales then you will enjoy this book.

I have chosen two quotes from the novel. One to show how beautiful Irving's writing truly is, and another to show you the Headless Horseman. Trust me, this book is brilliant - and once you read it you will finally know which movie version is the closest to the actual story. And that's always fun to lord over people's heads. (Get it? Heads?)




"It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet."



"On mounting a rising ground, which brought the figure of his fellow-traveller in relief against the sky, gigantic in height, and muffled in a cloak, Ichabod was horror-struck on perceiving that he was headless!--but his horror was still more increased on observing that the head, which should have rested on his shoulders, was carried before him on the pommel of his saddle!"


- Washington Irving, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow




Comments

Popular Posts