Movie Time!

I have spent some time in the past few weeks reading books and watching movies, basically catching up on being normal. Some of the movies were great - some not so much - and I thought I'd go through and let you know about a few gems I found.

The first movie I watched was THE MONSTER PROJECT. It's on Amazon Prime and has a very interesting premise. Now, you know how I feel about spoilers, but the best thing about this movie was the fact that they filmed at a house that I used to drive by all the time in Los Angeles. As a matter of fact, I might have driven by while they were filming. Hindsight being twenty-twenty, I would have stopped and told them not to waste their time or money. Other than that bit of awesomeness, unless you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time this movie isn't worth watching. That's totally harsh but true. I mean, give it a go just because, but don't expect anything good to come of it.

The next night I had to let my husband choose the movies because that last one was so bad, lol. He chose THE VAULT and OCULUS. Both of these are on Netflix. Now, OCULUS has been out for a while and for some reason we never got around to watching it but I gotta say that if you like weird, and slightly confusing stories, this could be for you. I thought the idea was great, the execution kept us fixed to the screen so we didn't miss anything, and the vibe was definitely creepy. It was SOOO good. I'll admit I wanted a different ending, but I wasn't unhappy. Now THE VAULT... I had zero expectations that this movie would be scary. It was a bank robbery movie with James Franco as the poster model. Those aren't usually the types of movies I like. But let me tell you, this movie is definitely worth a watch! It starts off as a normal action/thriller were we see the heist being set-up and then BAM! Out of nowhere it takes a turn into horror-land and people start falling dead all over the place with ghosts popping out of the freakin walls. Once again I'll say that the ending isn't quite what I wanted but it was not a deal breaker. If you like ghosts and people being forced to drill steel into extremely painful places, then this movie is for you.

The next night after the kids went to bed we tried BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON and OPERA by Dario Argento. I had seen both of these (I highly recommend OPERA) so I didn't mind when my husband got bored fifteen minutes into both, lol. So we watched OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL. I haven't seen any of the other OUIJA movies yet but I did really enjoy this film. It was creepy with the occasional jump scare and shadowy figure in the background and overall a solid horror film. I will definitely be checking out the rest of this series.

Somewhere in all of this movie madness we did watch CREEP and CREEP 2, both on Netflix, but I think they deserve their own blog later on. I have much to say about those, lol.

The last film I want to talk about is III: THE RITUAL. It is, I believe, a Russian horror film on Netflix and the premise says it is a portal movie where the sick can be healed by traveling into another plane. It is a slow burn and the beginning feels like it has been cut to pieces because it jumps and you're unsure of what's really going on and you're going to have to get through the first thirty minutes of this movie before something happens. I won't lie, the acting is a bit hard to swallow but it's no worse than watching cheesy eighties horrors. Even when they are "yelling" or sad or scared, their face and voice never change. That in itself is kind of creepy but I doubt it's intentional. But once we get to the portal business (which I won't explain because it would literally ruin the film) things start to move. It has great visuals and the horror bits are reminiscent of THE CELL and SILENT HILL. It does take some bizarre twists and turns and the ending, though not entirely unexpected but still a pleasant surprise, is odd, but I would recommend giving it a try.

So there are a few winners and some I would never give another chance, but overall it's been fun chilling on my couch and staring at my television. There are still more movies on my list to watch so be on the lookout for another blog or two!

Let me know if you find any scary movies that I should be watching!




 

Comments

Popular Posts