Mr. Jones and Me

I just watched a movie entitled Mr. Jones on Netflix and I'm still trying to decide if I liked it or not. It was in the horror section and I admit that every time I scrolled by it recently the poster intrigued me with it's blood red background and silhouetted scarecrow-esque figure. It taunted me looking like some flick from the seventies that promised devil worship and a cheesy script but when I looked at the date it was really recent. Well tonight I finally gave it a chance.

It's one of those films where the characters are filming. Already not my thing - I hate the camera work in these types of film because you never clearly see anything plus you feel like vomiting when they run from the blurry thing you never got to look at. But I will say this was not that bad. I didn't puke or turn it off half way through so you know it wasn't shit. The beginning was slow but how they stumble across the "bad guy" was interesting. He certainly looked devious but other than that the meeting was lackluster since it wasn't really a meeting. I won't give away the movie because I think you should watch it so this post will be vague and probably irritating to some of you. Deal with it. Anyways, they pursue and make a stupid decision and then the meat of the story begins. . . finally.

Like I said, I won't give the movie away but it left me feeling a little disappointed. When it got to the horror part I was captivated. I wanted to know who this guy was, what these scarecrow things he was creating were and why he was displaying them in such a way. I wanted DETAILS - which as you can guess I didn't really get. I sort of got the why at the end and almost what they were (though that is debatable because there was one special one that they never explained.) It was an intriguing concept and I wanted more but they intentionally leave you with as little as possible. I mean, I got it. I got the gist. I'm not completely stupid. But some background would have been appreciated and would only have enhanced the plot line.

So now I'm left in this weird place wondering if I really liked it or if I just liked the idea of it. I guess I'll have to wait and see if this feeling lingers tomorrow or if I just forget about the film. While I play the waiting game you should check this film out. I don't remember who directed it and the main actors were familiar but if I said their names you probably wouldn't recognize them. Trust me, it doesn't hurt the film. The acting is good. You won't be disappointed by that at least. Give it a chance and let me know your thoughts.

I know one thing. I'd like one of the pieces of art in it so I could hang it outside my apartment. No neighbors would ever smoke by my window or bother me again.

Mr. Jones. Netflix. Watch it.



Comments

  1. I think I will have to check this flick out. On your orders of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***SPOILERS***Well, I finished it. I would have to agree with you on grounds that it left me a little frustrated. I crave details and despise movies that leave me asking the same question a 4 to 5 year old child asks their parents after seeing or hearing about something unfamiliar to them. That three letter word we all love. WHY?
    For the most part I understood the story. The scarecrows were made to stop the dream world from overlapping the real world. Or was it to keep seperate the good dreams from the bad ones? I'm not 100%. I feel he was in a dream the whole time or some kind of a coma or dead even. Just based on how jumpy the story was. You could tell they were trying to develop a backstory with the interviews. They were trying to explain things a bit, but I don't think it was enough and I think they should've put that all the way at the beginning in my opinion.
    Anyway, I could play the "coulda', shoulda', woulda', game for an hour or so. It was a very interesting and creative idea, but the movie was a bit jumbled up for my taste.
    I will say this though, those scarecrows were BADASS! I'd love to make one like the one she knocked over with the can in the cellar.

    I read your stories and other blogs and seen this and wanted to play a part in your blog as a movie critic. It was fun! I love horror movies as well and would like to see more of these types of blogs in the future. Keep up the good work Sam, you'll catch your break soon enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are so right. Playing movie critic is too fun and I think there will definitely be more blogs like this in the future. I'm thinking Monday will have another movie blog, horror of course, and hopefully something sinfully cheesy. A great excuse to watch movies all weekend :) And thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement! If I find one of those scarecrows I'll be sure to send it your way. . . but if it sends you to some freaky dreamland it will totally not be my fault. . .

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot - what was the deal with the baby scarecrow? I was expecting some ancient god to burst forth seeking vengeance and all that happened was things turned dreamland blue.

      Delete
  3. It was definitely a catalyst for sure. And for all we know it did anger some "dreamland god". That's where the lack of detail was frustrating. Although, it does leave room for the imagination. However, that's the reason I read books and watch movies. I leave the imagining up to the artist such as yourself. I MUST BE ENTERTAINED! ;P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts