Which movie to discuss?

So I watched two movies this weekend. One cheesy (in a good way) and one that was good but oh so sappy. The first was Nightbreed and the second was Odd Thomas. Between the two I can't decide which to blog about because while I liked them I'm kind of in a weird in-between mood about them. So I will briefly talk about both.

First up, Nightbreed. I was surprised I hadn't heard of this movie because I am a huge Clive Barker fan but it was my husband who made me sit down and watch this. If you like the bizarre and finding that though there is a world of creatures the real monsters are the human beings they coexist with than this is for you. I found out it's based off of one of his shorts, I believe it's called Cabal, and I wish I could say that I have read it and can compare the two but I can't find it anywhere! Unless of course, I'd like to order it. I'm sure I'll give in eventually and buy it - I do have a birthday coming up. Until then all I can talk about is the movie.

Aaron Boone, our "hero", has been having dreams of a mythical place called Midian, a safe haven for the creatures of the night. His therapist seems very interested in these dreams from the get go, I won't tell you why because you know I don't want to give away spoilers, but it does seem fishy. There aren't many twists in this film everything is pretty straight forward and you know who's a bad guy and who's not fairly quickly but I still don't want to ruin anything for you. Needless to say, Aaron falls into some trouble and has the police hot on his trail and he also starts to stumble across some pretty wacky characters. One of them rips his face off - it made me happy. Faceless man and Aaron decide to find the road to Midian together. . . a bunch of stuff happens. . . some interesting some blah. . . and finally Aaron makes it. You can probably tell this is where I start to get bored. All of the interesting stuff happens at the end - don't worry you will find out exactly what is going on, this isn't a guessing game movie, but I think the short is probably much better than the movie. I love the premise and I wanted more history on Midian. Basically, I wanted a different movie all about the monsters. If you watch it you'll like it but it probably won't be something you go back to.

Now for Odd Thomas. Apparently this movie is based off a Dean Koontz series and my local library has all of the books. I'll get around to it eventually. I had seen the poster for this movie on Netflix a couple of times and always passed on it because it looked like a bad indie film. Then I saw who was in it. Anton Yelchin and Willem Dafoe are leads and when I saw that I had to watch it. I love Willem Dafoe :)

The story is one we've heard before. A man can see the dead and rights the wrongs that have been done to them but what already sets Odd (played by Anton Yelchin and yes, the characters first name is Odd) is that he is real and he is angry. "I see dead people. But, then by God, I do something about it!" It's not like watching the Ghost Whisperer where she sees a ghost and is frightened or upset - as the movie opens Odd is led by a small girl to the man that raped and murdered her and it happens to be someone Odd knows. And then there's an awesome fight and as you wonder how he can fight like an MMA fighter the narration says that since he was chasing criminals and he liked how his face looked he knew he needed to be able to defend hisself.

So the main plot of the film is that the town is going to face a catastrophe the likes of which have never been seen and Odd has to stop it from happening. He knows something is coming because of these creatures called bodachs that he can see. They follow evil and feed off of people that are about to die (I think that's right. I have slept since watching the film.) The plot is good, it keeps you guessing for a while about who is involved in the trouble and who is it you need to keep your eye on and Yelchin and Dafoe have good chemistry together. The only unenjoyable part was the romance. I mean, I like romances. I am a chick. But sometimes these relationships can be so sappy and saccharine that their hard to stomach. If I knew Odd and his girlfriend in real life I would constantly be telling them to f*** off because nobody wants to hear your gross nicknames for one another or how much you love each other. Save it for when you're alone. Sadly it feels like the lovey dovey stuff is the majority of the movie, not action or ghosts.

There are no holes. You'll understand everything before the credits roll and you shouldn't be disappointed in this movie either. Like I said though, I doubt you'll be running out to buy it for your horror (or even action) collection any time soon.

So there you go. I didn't watch any movie I truly loved this weekend but instead settled for to okay films. If you have time watch them because Lord knows I gave you hardly anything to go on in this blog but then again, there wasn't too much to write about.


 

Comments

Popular Posts